Happy New Year everyone! We are so excited to get tax season started and help all our clients save where they can. The next few weeks tax forms will be showing up in your mailbox, and make sure you keep each of them incase your tax professional needs copies.

Here is a general list of what to bring to your tax appointment this year:

Copy of 2014 tax return

  • If you are a new client, please bring your previous years tax returns.

Personal & Dependent Information

  • Social Security or ITIN Numbers with date of births for anyone who’ll be on your tax return
  • Childcare payment records with licensed provider’s ID number(s)
  • Amount of any alimony payments with ex-spouse social security number

Income Statements

  • Bring W-2, 1098, 1099 & schedule K-1 forms
  • Investment and stock sales, with purchase date and purchase price
  • List of investment related expenses

Itemized Deductions

If you are planning on itemizing your deductions, please compose a list summarizing them.  Itemized deductions include:

  • Medical Expenses (doctors, vision, dental, insurance)
  • Mortgage interest, real estate & personal property tax records
  • Casualty & theft losses
  • Amounts of state & local income tax paid in 2015
  • Records of cash donations to church, schools & other charities
  • Records of non-cash charitable donations (DI, Idaho Youth Ranch, etc)
  • Unreimbursed job related expenses (travel, tools, cell phone charges, uniform cost/cleaning, luggage, services fees, meals & entertainment)
  • Job search/moving expenses

Retirement & Education

  • Records of any contributions to IRAs, HSAs & other retirement plans
  • Records of tuition and other higher education expenses (books, computers, etc)

Health Care

  • Form 1095-A if you received health insurance from an Exchange (State or Federal)
  • Marketplace exemption certificate if you applied for and received an exemption from the Exchange

Stocks & Mutual Funds

If you sold stocks or mutual funds, please provide a spreadsheet/list showing:

  • The dates you purchased each items sold
  • Total purchase price of each item sold.


Please prepare a simple income statement which summarizes your:

  • Gross self employment income for the tax year and your applicable expenses categorized and summarized by the type of expense (i.e. advertising, equipment, supplies, etc)
    • A quickbooks file would also suffice

Rental Property

If you received income from rental property, please prepare a simple income statement showing:

  • Gross rental income you received during the tax year
  • Your applicable expenses categorized and summarized by the type of expense (i.e. advertising, mortgage interest, real estate taxes, repairs, maintenance, condo fees, etc).
  • Rental start date and original cost base for all properties

Business Use of Home

If you used a portion of your home for business use, please provide:

  • Square footage calculation of the area used for business
  • The date you began using the space for business
  • Original purchase price paid for the property
  • Summary of your utility expenses (gas, electric, oil, condo fees, landscaping, snowplowing, maintenance, etc)
  • Major home improvements and direct office expenses (repairs, business phone, etc).

Residential Energy Efficient Improvements

Please provide the cost of the following applicable items:

  • High-efficiency heating & cooling systems, water heaters, windows, doors, insulation, qualified solar electric property, solar water heating property, fuel cell property, small wind energy property and geothermal heat pump property

Foreign Nationals on a F-1 or J-1 Visas

Please bring your Visa and passport and summarize the following information:

  • Your permanent address where you are a citizen
  • Your F-1 / J-1 VISA number
  • The actual dates entered / left the United States for corresponding tax year
  • The number of days you were in the United States for the previous three tax years

Estimated Tax Payments

If you made any estimated tax payments this tax year, we will need to know the dates and amounts paid of all federal and state estimated tax payments.

Moving Expenses

If your move is employment related, please summarize your moving expenses. You can only deduct the cost to move your household goods, storage and the one time trip to make the final move to your new location.

Finally, please bring any other official tax documents you received not mentioned above. When in doubt, bring it!